Happy Earth Day everyone. I grew up in a good, green Canadian home where we recycled, ate organic before it was trendy and even had a big ‘ol compost in our backyard. And while I applaud my parents for being ahead of their time and doing what’s right for the earth, I’m admittedly not quite as green.
Earth Day is great (and as a former PR girl, I love the idea of rallying around a date to communicate your message) but, let’s be real, the best thing you can do is make better choices EVERY day. That includes the choices you’re making with home decor. So, put aside your organic, fair trade coffee and check out this eco-friendly living room I created.
1. Rowe furniture practices a policy called EcoRowe which uses fabrics produced from natural, renewable fibers, woods from replenished, domestic forests for the frames and eco-friendly seat cushion cores. But, all you’ll notice about this Chelsey sofa is its perfect lines and gorgeous rich color.
2. VivaTerra is a great source for green furniture. This Trestle Coffee Table is made of reclaimed wood. Its waxed finish adds a subtle sheen that would look great against the velvet of the sofa.
3. I love the clever use of materials and this rug from West Elm is brilliant–recycled denim!
4. Turning to VivaTerra again, I love mixing up the more formal sofa with these casual Rattan Lounge Chair and Ottoman. Intended to be used outdoors, I think they’d be the perfect addition to a kid-friendly living room. Plus as we head into the summer, they give a light feel to the room.
5. Every living room needs a great blanket basket (so you can curl up all cozy on your new eco couch!) This version in natural sea grass from West Elm is a great way to bring the color blocking trend into your home as well.
6. One easy way to make a difference is in your choice of textiles–i.e. trying to minimize the use of chemicals. These pillows from AllModern.com are made with environmentally friendly inks.
So many vendors are now offering more environmentally-friendly choices. Definitely worth exploring them because you no longer have to sacrifice great style.